Disclaimer

Senior at the University of Northern Iowa

Saturday, January 2, 2016

New Year, New Me? Eh, Maybe.

Hello, and welcome to the already fabulous year that is two-thousand and sixteen. I'm not your host (I can't play God), but I am my own guide through the events that are to come in the next 364 days. As if that sentence couldn't sound anymore like a game show. My year has been off to a slow and rather dull start. I screamed several times at the television this afternoon, watching the Iowa Hawkeyes make mistakes, which of course, could happen to anyone. I'm just grateful that they got the chance to play in the Rose Bowl at all. After the screaming commenced, I just laid around on Tara's couch on my phone for several hours, somewhere in there we got ice cream, and I came home. And here I am, lounging in my bed, trying to throw together some unofficial New Year's resolutions that I'm bound to give up by the end of next week.

My major goals for this year are to get my finances in line and get into shape (or at least more than what I am currently). I am going to start the finance path off by handing my Victoria's Secret credit card and my debit card over to someone more responsible to handle them. No, I don't mean I'm giving them away free to a good home. What I mean is that I will have someone hang onto them for me, and in the event that I think I "need" them, they can make the call on whether or not I get it back. I have found that having my debit card at my disposal constantly only makes it easier for me to go to Taco Bell, Culver's and Kwik Star for unnecessary food, instead of eating at the dining center, which I am paying for. The Victoria's Secret card is self-explanatory as to why I need that taken away. Hopefully by taking these steps, I will show myself how much money I could actually be saving, and when I eventually get my cards back, I will not have such an impulse to use them as I did before.

The other goal, exercise, has been a long time coming. I'm not necessarily overweight by any means, but I did gain 10 pounds since I came home for Christmas Break. I get winded climbing stairs, and sometimes I just don't feel healthy (mostly because I eat junk food a lot). Since my career goal is to become a police officer, I am going to have physical fitness standards to meet. Currently, I would not be able to do more than two pushups or even run a mile in a somewhat decent time. But my goal is to be able to strengthen my body all-around so that I can at least meet some new PRs and feel great about what I am doing. In order to make sure that I actually go to the Wellness Center on campus to work out, I have created a weekly schedule that I will follow rigorously, that has every hour of my weekdays planned out. I am going to exercise on Tuesdays and Thursdays this semester, since I have a class in the WRC and will be done right when the upstairs gym opens up.

I hope that whatever goals you have set for yourself this year, that you live up to the expectations and meet them! It's always good to feel good and reach your goals :) Have a safe, happy, and healthy 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment